"Sunshine on Hampton Plantation" A Plein Air Painting of a Southern Mansion

Painting in the shade of the Washington Oak this afternoon, I was glad I remembered to bring lots of bug spray. With recent summer showers, the mosquitoes were out in force. I was swarmed so badly I'm surprised I have any blood left.

Bug spray and a portable bug zapper improved the situation and I had a wonderful afternoon painting at one of my favorite locations - Hampton Plantation Historical Site.

"Sunshine on Hampton Plantation"
Oil on cradled panel
Dimensions: 11" x 14"
Price: $450.00

I had the pleasure of meeting internationally famous author and painter, Kevin Macpherson when he was in Charleston this spring. Mr. Macpherson creates beautiful, award winning paintings using a limited palette of only 3 primary colors (yellow, red, blue) with white. In his books and workshops, he teaches the importance of mixing "harmonious colors and sensitive grays".
Although I like to use a few more "tube" colors on my palette for convenience, I am working on mixing a wider range of grays and neutrals. Here's a photo of my palette showing the mixtures I've been experimenting with recently.
The shadows and sunshine in the painting "Sunshine on Hampton Plantation" gave me an opportunity to try out these new neutral mixtures while working with color harmony and accurate values. I feel the painting succeeds in portraying the effect of light and shadow on the white mansion due to the use of a wide range of warm and cool grays.

No comments:

Post a Comment