Studio Palette Color Choices for Landscape and Still Life Painting

Recently, I've been experimenting with different color choices on my studio palette for landscape and still life painting. Here's a photo of my studio palette "tube" colors (upper left corner) and mixtures. I especially like the bright, transparent red that results from mixing permanent rose and cadmium orange. French ultramarine blue and perm. rose make beautiful variations of purple and mauve.

The tube colors shown on the palette are: permanent sap green, cerulean blue, French ultramarine blue, permanent alizarin crimson, permanent rose, burnt sienna, cadmium orange, cadmium yellow pale, a mixture of cad. orange+cad. yellow, and titanium white. I also use warm and cool tinting whites mixed from these colors.

With so many rich colors, it's tempting to "use every crayon in the box", but using complements and well mixed grays will always make a stronger painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment