Charleston Artists Guild features National Artist, Judith Carducci

It rained today(4/07)and I'm still recovering from a cortisone injection in my right hand for an inflamed CMC joint so I don't have a new painting to post today. However, I did learn some new portrait painting tips from a lively demo given tonight at the monthly meeting of the Charleston Artist Guild, of which I am an exhibiting member.

Judith Carducci from Ohio was the featured speaker. She's an accomplished painter and teacher who was able to complete an impressive painting of Mr. Cisco Lindsey,
outgoing CAG president, in under 2 hrs.
Not only did she paint this in less than ideal circumstances( Cisco was perched on top of a stack of 4 nested chairs with an auto shop spot light shinning on him with the bare wall for a backdrop) but she did it with humor and skill.

Judith stressed the importance of washing in an under painting on the pastel support and over painting with correct values. I'm finishing up a pastel portrait commission of a young boy that I'll post when it's done.

I'm looking forward to learning more at her workshop over the next three days.

Post a Comment